Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Chanel #5-the most overhyped scent in the history of humanity or the most wondeful? You decide

I think I was 18 or so when I first smelled Chanel #5 and I thought it was God awful. I normally try not to say that it smells like "old lady" but at the time, I thought that only old women would wear this and it was disgusting.
I am 40 now and have much greater appreciation of fragrance so I wanted to revisit this scent once again. The initial scent is rich and spicy-a mix of very spicy rose and jasmine with a bit of bergamot. That lasts for a while and if the scent stayed that way, I could probably see the appeal. However, within 30 minutes, the aldehydes come in full force and it starts smelling dusty and stale. The best way to describe it would be dusty books from the library.
I never tested it on my skin because frankly I was afraid that I was going to hate it so I sprayed it on paper strip. I am glad I didn't because smelling like dust and stale closets is never my goal. Lasting power is quite amazing-I tried it two days ago and my paper strip still smells like like dusty books.

Ok, don't kill me now-I know that fragrance is highly subjective and everyone likes different thing but this scent has been overhyped from here to Sunday. It really has-everytime you open a fashion magazine, there is always something about how classy, iconic, sexy and as Fragrantica says"a symbol of good taste". Now, I love Fragrantica but calling it a symbol of good taste is a bit of a stretch.
I think one of the reasons it remained popular because media is always harping on how great it is, also it IS Chanel(and if it was from Coty, I am sure it wouldn't cause such frenzy and devotion), and of course, because Marylin Monroe wore this.
At the time, it was created, using aldehydes was rather revolutionary because noone has used it before but nowdays, its common place and there is nothing exciting in that alone. If you like it, more power to you, but unlike the fashion magazines, I definately don't think its the best fragrance ever made.

1 comment:

  1. I do like Chanel No. 5. I work with books, so perhaps the dusty books smell appeals to me. :)

    As for it being the greatest perfume ever, I do disagree. I quite like a few other perfumes a lot more. I can't pick an absolute favourite and "best ever" for me but Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab's Snake Oil is one which comes to mind and reacts better to my body chemistry than No. 5.

    ReplyDelete